Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My first time

My very first signing was in early 1999 at Powells Books. Yes, that Powells Books. Where every famous authors who comes to Portland stops. And there I was, waiting in the wings, wearing a long brown velvet dress with my hair pinned up. I was sure I was going to die or at least pass out. Well over a hundred people turned up (many of them people from work who erroneously thought I would soon be a millionaire and quit). The whole time I was speaking, a little voice in the corner of my mind was yammering away that I felt sick, I felt dizzy, I should lay my head on the podium, I would soon pass out and my husband would drag my body away.

But I made it.

And now I kind of like speaking in public. And would kill for having a turnout like that when I’m the only one speaking.

No comments: