Monday, October 27, 2008

Why The Hunger Games is such a great book


This weekend, I finished The Hunger Games. While it's a dramatic, fast-paced book, I also actually cried a couple of times. It was the kind of book that ideally would be read in one sitting.

While I mostly lost myself in it as a reader, I also went back later and looked at it as a writer. One thing the author did really well was to have exciting or interesting chapter endings that really made you want to read forward. Here are some examples (ones with no spoilers):

Chapter 2
Oh, well, I think. There were will be twenty-four of us. Odds are someone else will kill him before I do.

Of course, the odds have not been very dependable of late.

Chapter 4
Which also means that kind Peeta Meelark, the boy who gave me the bread, is fighting hard to kill me.

Chapter 5
But because two can play at this game, I stand on tiptoe and kiss his cheek. Right on the bruise.

Chapter 6
I wonder if she will enjoy watching me die.

The Hunger Games is a great book for readers – and writers.

No comments: