Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Somehow this seems like cheating

Teen someone managed to persuade her lit teacher to let her choose Shock Point as a book for her "reading response journal." Of course, she has an advantage no one else does: she can ask me questions. The report begins: "This story is pretty good so far. I like the author’s (my mother) use of time." And beware how you dress your characters (the book was written when Teen was just Kid). Teen writes, "I don’t like the main character all too much though. I know it is kind of shallow of me to base it off the way she dresses, but really the way a person dresses can tell you a lot about them. For instance Cassie wears “[a] vintage black thrift store shirtdress, black fishnets, and pink Chuck Taylor All-Stars.” A person who dresses like this would generally be the kind of person who wants to be noticed but just doesn’t want to admit it. The kind of person who wants to seem all punk and tough but really isn’t. I asked April (my mother/the author) about it and she said she didn’t really think that much about, she just saw someone dressed like that on the bus and made Cassie dress like that. So I guess I shouldn’t read so far into the way she dresses." Ah, the language of clothes. I guess back then I wasn't speaking it very well.

1 comment:

Nancy Coffelt said...

Here's the quote I've used with my own grown son:

“How sharper than a serpent's tongue it is to have a thankless child”.

Please know though that said quote was met with a quizzical look and subsequent guffaws from same grown son.

Oh well....